Gums & Jointsa FP7 EU collaborative project, with an aim to investigate protein citrullination as a link between periodontal disease and rheumatoid arthritis main page
Claudiu T. Supuran
Contract professor at the Faculty of Pharmacy
Department of Chemistry,
University of Florence
Via della Lastruccia, 3
50019 - Sesto Fiorentino (Firenze)
- Research interests:medicinal chemistry, heterocyclic chemistry, enzyme inhibitors and activators, chemistry of sulfonamides, sulfamates and sulfamides, X-ray crystallography of metallo-enzymes, biologically active organo-element derivatives, quantitative structure-activity relationship (QSAR) studies, metal complexes with biologically active ligands (metal-based drugs), carbonic anhydrases, cyclooxygenases and their inhibition, serine proteases, matrix metalloproteinases, bacterial proteases, antiviral/antitumor drugs, amino acid derivatives.
- January 2005 "Cultore della materia" in Chemistry (allowing teaching and being part of Examination Committee at the University)
- April 2004 Ph.D. in Chemical Sciences - University of Florence Title of the Thesis "Regulators of Activity for Carbonic Anhydrase: Synthesis, Development and Assay of Inhibitors and Activators".
- January 1999 "Esame di Stato" - Italian professional qualification to execise the free profession of Chemist
- October 1998 M.Sc. in Chemistry (Laurea degree, 5 yrs course; 104/110) - University of Florence Title of the Thesis "Study of the interaction of antitumoral Ru(III) complexes with biomolecules: molecular bases of the mechanism of action ".
- July 1991 Diploma degree at the Foreing Languages High-School (Liceo Sperimentale "G.Ulivi", Borgo San Lorenzo (Florence)
- 1980 - Third prize (bronze medal) at the 12th International Olympiad of Chemistry, Linz, Austria.
- 1981 - First prize (gold medal) at the 13th International Olympiad of Chemistry, Bourgas, Bulgaria.
- 1991 - "C.D.Nenitzescu" Prize of the Roumanian Academy.
- 1994 - Member of the New York Academy of Sciences.
- 1996 - Participation in the programmes of National Institute of Health (NIH), National Cancer Institute (NCI) and National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) for the discovery of anti-tuberculosis, anti-cancer and anti-viral drugs.
- Editorial and Refereeing Activity:
- Member in the editorial board of Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, Current Medicinal Chemistry, Current Pharmaceutical Design, Current Organic Chemistry, Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents.
- Therapy, Revue Roumaine de Chimie; Roumanian Chemical Quarterly Reviews
- Main Group Metal Chemistry, Metal Based Drugs, Turkish Journal of Biochemistry, Marine Drugs, Molecular Recognition, Applied Organometallic Chemistry, Anticancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry.
- European Regional Editor of Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry and of Current Enzyme Inhibition.
- Editor-in-Chief of the Open Journal of Enzyme Inhibition.
- Senior Editor (Infectious Diseases) of Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry.
- Referee at the above journals and of Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Biochemistry, Life Sciences, Clinica Chimica Acta, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Main Group Metal Chemistry, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, Angewandte Chemie, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, etc .
- Conferences and Congresses:Spoleto, Italy (1990); Firenze Italy (1991,1992,1994,1998, 2009); Albufeira, Portugal (1993); Zaragoza, Spain (1993); Gainesville, USA (1994), Rhodos, Greece (1994); Los Angeles, USA (1994); San Miniato, Italy (1995); Oxford, UK (1995); Valencia, Spain (1995); Murcia, Spain (1995); Parma, Italy (1995); Lübeck, Germany (1995); Torino, Italy (1996); Noordwijkerhout, Holland (1996); Santiago de Chile, Chile (1997); Corfu, Greece (1997); Hannover, Germany (1999); Namur, Belgium (2000); Cardiff, UK (2001); Stintino, Italy (2001); Toulouse, France (2002); Montepellier, France (2002); Nuerenberg (Germany) (2004); Marburg, Germany (2005); Varadero, Cuba (2005); Lisbon, Portugal (2006); Istanbul, Turkey (2006, 2007); Helsinki, Finland (2006); Berlin, Germany (2006, 2008); Milan, Italy (2007); Oxford, UK (2007, 2008); Namur, Belgium (2007); Erzurum, Turkey (2007); Brussels, Belgium (2007); Brisbane, Australia (2008); Gold Coast, Australia (2008); Bucharest, Romania (2008); Vilnius, Lithuania (2008); Riga, Latvia (2008); Canterbury, UK (2008); Monte Carlo, Monaco (2008); Nice, France (2009); Ankara, Turkey (2009); Copenhagen, Denmark (2009); Giresun, Turkey (2009), Trabzon, Turkey (2009); Frankfurt, Germany (2009); Manchester, UK (2009); La Plata, Argentina (2010); Aachen, Germany (2010); Cairo, Egypt (2010); Reims, France (2010); Jerusalem, Israel (2010); Antalya, Turkey (2010); Luxor, Egypt (2010).
I was a coorganizer of the 6th International Carbonic Anhydrase conference, Smolenice (Bratislava), Slovakia, June 2003, of the 9th ISMB conference in Lisbon, Portugal, May 2006, of the 31st FEBS meeting held in Istanbul, Turkey, June 2006 and the 8th International Carbonic Anhydrase conference, Florence, Italy, September 2009.
- Consultant scientists/research contracts with the following companies:
- 1994 - 2000 BASF, Ludwigshafen, Germany.
- 1997 - 1998 DowElanco, Indianapolis, USA.
- 1997 - 2000 Eli Lilly, Indianapolis, USA.
- 1997 - 2000 Farmigea, Pisa, Italy.
- 1999 - 2007 Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Hannover, Germany.
- 2000 - 2003 Pfizer Global Research, Groton, CT, USA.
- 2001 - 2003 Pharmacia Corporation, Peapack, NJ, USA.
- 2003 - 2004 Eisai Company, Tsukuba, Japan.
- 2003 - 2008 Nicox, Nice, France.
- 2005 - 2006 IRBM - Merck, Pomezia, Italy.
- 2006 - 2007 Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
- 2007 - 2008 Inotek Pharmaceuticals, Boston, MA, USA.
- 2007 - 2009 Bayer-Schering Pharma, Berlin, Germany.
- 2009 - present Novartis, Basel, Switzerland
- 2009 - present Morphotek, Cambridge (MA), USA.
- 2010 - present Gruenenthal, Germany.
- 2010 - present PerkinElmer, USA.
- Expert in three litigation cases between drug companies:
- 2005 - 2006: OrthoMcNeill vs. Mylan Pharmaceuticals (USA) on the topiramate patent (for Mylan)
- 2006 - 2007: Pfizer vs. Teva Pharmaceuticals (Canada) on the celecoxib patent (for Pfizer).
- 2009 - Sandoz vs. Merck Canada (on dorzolamide) (for Sandoz/Novartis).
- Publications:Publications: Three books (see List of Publications) More than 700 scientific papers in international journals; 45 book chapters, 3 patents